What is Ephemeris?
Ephemeris is a program that calculates the phases of the moon and the time for sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset for any location on the planet. There's a lot of math I don't have a clue how to do involved.
So here are the end goals
By supplying your location (say Los Angeles) and a date you can get:
- MoonPhase in a neat little graphic of the day
- Sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Ability to create a moon calendar for the month(s) supplied.
- Ability to create a sunrise/set moonrise/set table for month(s) supplied.
- Give the exact time of full moon and new moon.
- The all the times should be accurate to the timezone of your location.
First step is finding the math to calculate this and code it in Ruby. Then I'll create a rails app that will run this from a website.